Why Do Employed Individuals Increasingly Decide on Online Learning
25th January 2016
We learn all our lives. This is truer today than ever before. Regardless of our field of work, changes come so quickly that we have to continually upgrade our knowledge.
Often, we wish to gain knowledge from completely new fields, regardless of whether we are speaking of new challenges in our career or creative leisure time. The wish for further or additional education is thus often present. This is however soon met with the eternal question:
How can I engage in education in addition to all my obligations?
Fortunately, modern technology, which often needlessly takes away our time, also has the good quality of sometimes saving time. It does that by "bringing" education to us. Online learning allows us to learn anytime and anywhere we want. All we need is a computer and Internet access. We can decide on a short evening seminar or webinar on a specific topic, on weekly or monthly learning programmes or even complete a whole study programme online at different levels.
The reasons why people decide on online learning are as diverse as people are. National and international studies have shown the following to be the most common reasons why employed individuals choose online learning:
- Flexibility Online learning allows you to gain new knowledge despite a jam-packed schedule and business and family commitments. You allocate the time and pace of learning yourself and are not dependent on previously set schedules. Learning is proven to be more effective if you learn when you are motivated to do so. Plug in your computer wherever it suits you and begin.
- Comfort Learn anytime, anywhere, where you feel comfortable. You do not have to leave your home. Get comfortable in your home environment, even working in your pyjamas if you want to. J Exam jitters are also easier to manage at home. Exams can be just as stressful at home, since you are being monitored when taking them, however you are in your home environment, where you feel the best.
- Lower costs Online learning can be up to twice as cheap as conventional classroom learning. You do not have to incur transportation costs, pay tolls and parking fees, you do not have to go to the library. You further save printing and copying costs for textbooks. The market already offers numerous providers of fully free online learning.
- You are never alone Technology enables you to establish contact with professors via different communication channels. If you engage in longer online learning programmes, online tutors monitor and direct your progress. You have numerous communication channels at your disposal and you can communicate practically 24/7. The written and video material is mostly available at all times and you can review it after lectures whenever you have the time to do so. Studies have shown that online students remember more information than students in conventional study programmes.
- Networking and competencies valued by employers Online students are more computer literate, they use forums, chats and team assignments to learn networking skills and how to use the right information. They use the acquired competencies such as communication, teamwork and time management in their job, which is valued by employers.
- Medical reasons The family of online students also welcomes special needs students, individuals with learning difficulties and people who are unable to attend conventional learning programmes due to physical or psychological barriers.
DOBA Business School has been implementing online learning for the 16th year in a row and we are the only institution in Southeast Europe with an international certification for online learning. Over 5,000 participants have joined us for various forms of online learning.
Every year, we implement more than 30 different online learning programmes, including programmes that are offered free of charge.
We will gladly inform you about the programmes that we offer. All we need is your contact information.
Polona Baloh, International Study Centres Director
- Online resource: http://www2.humboldt.edu/ceee/sixreasons.html (retrieved on 11 December 2015)
- Online resource: http://www.elearners.com/online-education-resources/online-learning/why-should-i-choose-online-education/ (retrieved on 11 December 2015)
- Online resource: http://www.franklin.edu/blog/top-8-reasons-students-choose-online-degrees/ (retrieved on 20 December 2015)
- Online resource: https://www.collegerecruiter.com/blog/2013/05/24/8-reasons-students-are-choosing-online-schools-rather-than-a-traditional-education/ (retrieved on 3 January 2016)